About Just Scream← Home
Just Scream is a participatory sound art project created by Chris Gollmar.
I am an elementary school teacher by profession but have also been an artist and coder since I was a kid. Over the past several years, I’ve created a few participatory art projects that invite people to call a phone number and leave a voicemail for others to hear. In each project, the constraint was different – in Listening Point, I asked participants to narrate what they heard in their immediate environment; in NOISE, I instructed participants to speak for two minutes continuously; in Call-In Special, participants could record anything they wanted.
In September 2020, I decided to create a new piece in this format. It didn’t take long to settle on a theme and a name: Just Scream! I designed and coded this site, launching it just before Election Day in the U.S.
Just Scream has been featured all around the world.
- I found solace in scream hotlines (and you can too) (Salon.com)
- Scream into the void until Inauguration Day with Just Scream (Mashable)
- Call this phone number to scream (Boing Boing)
- Good Day Sacramento (Sacramento, CA)
- Lyst til at skrige ad 2020? Så ring til dette nummer (Jyllands-Posten, Copenhagen, DK)
- BFMTV (France)
Other Scream Projects
Since launching Just Scream, I have learned of many more scream-related projects around the world. Here’s what I’ve found so far. Please contact me if you know of others!